Possible cooking and mining?

Post & Discuss all your ideas for sagramore here.

Possible cooking and mining?

Postby Barfter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:49 am

Hey, sorry for another topic so quick, but it would be really sweet if it was possible to cook in this game and gain levels in it to be better at it and cook "higher lvl required"-meat? xD and why not mining at Goldrim, maybe?
Barfter

Re: Possible cooking and mining?

Postby Balthazar » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 am

Sounds like a fun idea to me :D Yeah the mines should really be multi-purposed fun :D!
Balthazar
Sagramore Crew
Sagramore Crew

Postby maever » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 am

We already have those designed , these are the professions we will have :

• Alchemist (can make potions and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for alchemy)
  • Tailor (can make cloth items and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for tailoring)
  • Leather worker (can make leather items and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for Leather working)
  • wood worker (can make staff items and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for wood working)
  • Weapon Smith (can make melee weapons items also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for smithing)
  • Armor Smith (can make armor items also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for smithing)
  • Cook ( can make food items also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for cooking)
  • Jeweler (can make accessories also has a small 6%% bonus on finding crafting items for accessory making)

as you see, no mining or "gathering professions" , sole reason for this is because I feel that these professions would not offer depth of gameplay.
If you create something, you put something in-game that could circulate, if you gather something, it's simply more redundant products on the market.
So might as well combine the gathering and creation professions as 1 profession (that both partially gathers as well as creates items)

Rather then trading ores, players will still need to trade items amongst eachother.
An Iron armor will need Leather straps (Which only leather workers can make)
With the sky as our limit we don't stay inside.
http://www.mmorpg-browser.com http://www.web-mmo.com
maever
Project Admin
Project Admin

Postby Barfter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:51 am

Ah, sounds nice. Will this be possible when Goldrim is finished?
Barfter

Postby ThaMcDonut » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:10 pm

maever wrote:We already have those designed , these are the professions we will have :

• Alchemist (can make potions and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for alchemy)
  • Tailor (can make cloth items and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for tailoring)
  • Leather worker (can make leather items and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for Leather working)
  • wood worker (can make staff items and also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for wood working)
  • Weapon Smith (can make melee weapons items also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for smithing)
  • Armor Smith (can make armor items also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for smithing)
  • Cook ( can make food items also has a small 6% bonus on finding crafting items for cooking)
  • Jeweler (can make accessories also has a small 6%% bonus on finding crafting items for accessory making)

as you see, no mining or "gathering professions" , sole reason for this is because I feel that these professions would not offer depth of gameplay.
If you create something, you put something in-game that could circulate, if you gather something, it's simply more redundant products on the market.
So might as well combine the gathering and creation professions as 1 profession (that both partially gathers as well as creates items)

Rather then trading ores, players will still need to trade items amongst eachother.
An Iron armor will need Leather straps (Which only leather workers can make)

Sorry, I'm not sure, but this game begins to look like World of Warcraft or RuneScape or other games in that way, and that makes me sad :(.

It's not exactly the same, but in big lines, it is.

If we add something which other games don't have; like Fatigue or Hungry system .....
ThaMcDonut

Postby Raijderan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Ah, now here I will give an opinion that is solely my own:

Never ever compare a game with another game, no matter what the reason is.
Because once you start comparing, you'll end up at the very first game ever build :)
Like you say World of Warcraft has things that we want as well.
But World of Warcraft took things from other games just as much.

Not a single game, except for the very first one, has ever been build with all new stuff.
Action bars, you find them everywhere.
Minimaps, who created them first? Everyone uses them.

And if you still wish to compare games, then do so by looking at what is different about the two games, not at what's the same. :)

I do not wish to annoy or provoke with my opinion :) (Thought I'd add it, seeing there's no way to add a 'tone of conversation' to plain text :P)

The philosopher in me has spoken....now time to get back to work!

*looks around* crap, this is slightly off-topic... *hides*
Copy Ninja reporting for duty
Nin - Nin!
Raijderan
Sagramore Crew
Sagramore Crew

Location: Excalisoft hidden evil fortress of doom, Netherlands

Postby Jackeltje » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:15 pm

In those games you'll need to grind for hours before you can make something good right? and when you can you can make a lot of it. So what if the ingredients for better food is just harder to find but doesn't have a level requirement?
Jackeltje
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby James » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Personally I think I see ThaMcDonut's point, I think our classes and professions may be titled a little too traditionally. Though I'm sure they're not entirely set in stone, maybe we could sagramore them up a little, so to speak. In my opinion It's fine to compare games because we know what we like and don't like about the industry leaders such as WoW and Runescape. I'm sure we've all played those games and thought to ourselves "Man if I made this game I would've done this differently" and I think that is where us new indie games come into the picture. We should learn from larger MMO's, borrow some features that we feel define a great MMO at the same time as adding our own unique elements that define Sagramore. Though I do agree with Raijderan in a sense if it is hard to be entirely original in MMO development, at the same time I think the biggest challenge in MMO development is innovation. There may have been features that have been the same since the first MMO but they are always innovated to be more user-friendly, convenient, etc with every generation of MMO's.

Pretty much, I like hearing what players love about other games, so naturally, comparing is fine in my eyes. And I disagree that gathering professions are useless, they do add depth to gameplay. I think if you gather your materials and then craft them there's a bigger sense of accomplishment. I don't look at gathered items as redundant items on the market place because if others are using them, how could they be redundant? Some people make a profit out of just gathering and selling the materials and that stimulates the overall economy.

Sorry for the ramble but that's my standpoint. :)
James
Sagramore Crew
Sagramore Crew

Postby maever » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 pm

I agree that innovation is desired, but there are a lot of parts of the MMO formula that simply have become the expected standard where little innovation is tolerated.
I've thought this through and I haven't been able to get around the fact. If we do any form of playerbased crafting there is no real way around the fact that players will create items for use ingame which simply calls for common understandable names, I could rename them but that wouldn't make them anymore "innovative".

What I can tell you is that our crafting system will have a broad item creation system behind it.
there could be over a 100 unique versions of a single dagger as well as big set of unique uncommon/useless items, you might craft a "self poisoning dagger", which poisons oneself when equiping.

For those who are familiar with Star Ocean 3's crafting system, it will borrow some of the elements from this game.

and that's all I'm sharing for now, keep faith guys, we know what we're doing and you can be sure that we will offer you a unique gameplay experience :)
With the sky as our limit we don't stay inside.
http://www.mmorpg-browser.com http://www.web-mmo.com
maever
Project Admin
Project Admin

Postby Raijderan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 pm

As you can see, many different mind sets are at work here to make the game as enjoyable as possible!

We do try to look at it from as many angles as possible.
That is why if you have an opinion about something do not hold back, we would love to hear about it :D

Also a big thanks to the people who have done so already :)
Copy Ninja reporting for duty
Nin - Nin!
Raijderan
Sagramore Crew
Sagramore Crew

Location: Excalisoft hidden evil fortress of doom, Netherlands

Return to Suggestions / Idea discussion